Endometriosis is a condition characterized by the presence of endometrial tissue outside the uterine cavity. Endometriosis can be found almost everywhere in the body including the vagina, lungs, cervix, Continue reading “Understanding Endometriosis”
Imagine if we didn’t have access to water and soap, all the infections and diseases people will come down with. Hand washing is very important to prevent coming down with infections and also one of the simplest underrated ways of preventing diseases and infections. Handwashing is usually well observed for children because their immunity is not that fully developed so they tend to get infected easily, Continue reading “The Simple Act of Hand washing.”
Deciding to engage in sexual activity is a big decision which you don’t just delve into (some might not agree). You don’t want to be that person who gets stuck with a pregnancy after one attempt at sex with someone you might not like or enjoy sex with. There are some things to consider before getting engaged sexually with another person, which are:
- Be aware you can get pregnant by having sex just once. So get familiar with ways to avoid getting pregnant such as the use of contraceptives. Explore your options and find that which suits you. It’s totally normal to feel uncomfortable talking about it, but you’ll feel better once you start talking trust me, the best time to talk about safer sex is BEFORE you start having sex.
- Be aware of the sexually transmitted infections(STI’s) out there, STI’s are not a good thing and no one will tell you they have an STI (most times they don’t even know they have one). So protect yourself and use condoms, be assertive, no condoms no sex or better still try and get yours and have in your bag so you are ready.
- Know why you are having sex, hoping to get that big orgasm you hear about or read in the novels of mills and boons or harlequin you are about to be disappointed cause you might not get so lucky. Sex is like fine wine that gets better as it ages, depending also on your lover.
- Be conscious of your reproductive health. Have that one friend you can trust who won’t judge you and let her/him know about any challenges you are having. They can be very helpful and you can help each other. It helps to know you aren’t going through something alone.
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene. Know how your body works, get familiar with that area, it’s not going to bite. know when your vagina smells horrible or how your discharge looks, when something is different you would detect on time.
Chlamydia is a bacterial infection; it is common and can be easily cured with the use of antibiotics. It is caused by Chlamydia trachomatis. It is found most frequently in sexually active adolescents and young adults. The infection is asymptomatic in both men and women.
In women, it can infect the fallopian tubes, Continue reading “Know the STI: Chlamydia”
Gonorrhea is an STI that is quite common among the average Nigerian, among the transport workers(who are considered to be unlearned) it is very common every STI is literally gonorrhea to them. This, however, doesn’t mean proper precaution is taken to prevent it or it is being treated properly.
It is caused by bacterium Neisseria gonorrhea, it has the highest rates in females, most men Continue reading “Know The STI: Gonorrhea”
Trichomoniasis (also known as Trich) is a commonly occurring STI caused by Trichomonas vaginalis, a protozoan parasite. Trichomoniasis can stay for months or even years without treatment. It increases one’s chances of getting other STI’s or HIV. Good news Continue reading “Know the STI: Trichomoniasis”
Bacteria Vaginosis increases ones chance of getting infected with an STI.
Vaginal hygiene is very important and Bacterial vaginosis is one of the effects of poor vaginal hygiene or ones attempt in trying to make the vagina smell like roses and pineapples. Bacterial vaginosis is responsible for the most common type of vaginal discharge. It is caused by the overgrowth of a mixture of bacteria that are often normally present in small quantities including Gardnerella vaginalis and in the absence of lactobacilli. It happens when there are too much of a certain Continue reading “Bacterial Vaginosis”
I want to share a story of Low lying placenta, you know those stories you hear of how women are told to go for a cesarean section and then they don’t know why then end up with the wrong person and it goes bad? no, this story doesn’t go bad but
I believe that in the care of the newborn it is very important that everyone involved in the care of the baby knows what to expect especially in the first few days of life.
A young mother comes to the primary health center 4 days after delivery, she complains that her baby has been sleeping non-stop and not even responding properly or interacting like a newborn would just very inactive also baby was not sucking from the breast well, the doctor made a diagnosis of Jaundice. The doctor, however, explained to her what Jaundice was and what treatment would be carried out she was referred to a general hospital as the primary health center do not offer that level of care. This woman was quite observant to notice on time to get treated early, I have heard other stories of babies dying from jaundice due to late diagnosis Continue reading “Yellow Baby: Jaundice in the Newborn”
I got a request from my post of 5 myths of painful menstruation to give effective measures for dysmenorrhea and why it works. As the queen of Dysmenorrhea (Yeah! I gave myself the title) I have had months I wished for oblivion and some other months Continue reading “4 Ways To Prevent Painful Menstruation”